There was a time when kids and avid fans spend lots of money to collect every available design ad editions of sport trading cards. These are pieces of cardboard or plastic cards that feature a popular athlete with a picture of them in action, plus a bit of trivia or statistics with the image.
Even now, these tiny things catch people’s fascination and they are collected into heavy, protected albums. They have become expensive and rare through time. In all respects (of course, except actual sports merchandise and the items used by the athletes themselves), these sport trading cards are the ultimate collectibles in the field of sports.
You might even see some from your father’s or grandfather’s stuff, hidden away carefully. You would think, what have become to these cards nowadays? Other than being kept as memorabilia and as museum pieces, they have already lost popularity in the younger generation who likes more flashy things. And that is where the custom trading pins come in.
With a different design that comes out for each tournament, each game and each team (sometimes even for each player that gets a lot of attention), these sport trading pins have become a popular collectible among enthusiasts.
Why have these shiny metallic things replaced the good old trading cards? Here are some of the reasons why:
- Storage – Gone are the days when you need to lug around a huge album just to keep your cards from folding and dog-eared edges. These pins can be attached to sashes and belts and even your collar while you go around and trade them. And when they’re not going around, you can have them in either clear boxes for display or safer containers that definitely don’t take as much space as the huge card albums do.
- Maintenance – Unlike the cards that fade in time, the custom trading pins are easy to maintain. They are made with metals so just a couple of wipe-downs (at least once a month or even quarterly if you’re feeling lazy) will keep them in their tip-top sparkly state. Also, keeping them in their containers will let them avoid dust (if you really don’t want to clean them). And because the materials used to make them (from the brass base plate to the soft enamel paint) are selected to make them last, you can be sure that your collected pins are going to last as long (or even longer) than you do.
- Design Updates – As the games continue and the tournaments finish, the designs get updated to accommodate changes in the logos, names and years inscribed. This would mean that as long as the sport continues, their design also update. You can have dozens of unique designs for just one sport series, imagine!
- Overall Designs - With artists and designers being drafted to improve pin designs over time, they have very attractive designs that will look good even if you wear them on your jacket or attach them to your bag. With this factor, these custom trading pins would not just be collectible merchandise, but also a sort of fashion item. Cool, huh?
- Collectability –You wouldn’t have to pay hundreds (to thousands) of dollars for a single piece (since trading cards are especially printed in limited editions) you can certainly find a trading pin that you liked and be sure you have an extra lying around to trade it for. That’s very important especially for the more popular designs.
- Lots of different types – These pins are also available in different types so you can almost have a category collection. Either that or you can decide to just collect a single type and have the fun and excitement of finding them in the sea of the other available types going around.
So, say goodbye to the old reinforced paper pictures and say hello to custom trading pins. When it comes to sport merchandise collecting, there could be nothing cooler than unique colorful metals you can wear and display anywhere you want.